[Nix-dev] PulseAudio

Mark Gardner mkg at vt.edu
Tue May 9 19:38:14 CEST 2017

I am having trouble getting PulseAudio to work. I added the following to
configuration.nix, executed nixos-rebuild switch, and rebooted:

  hardware.pulseaudio = {
    enable = true;
    package = pkgs.pulseaudioFull;
  };
  environment.systemPackages = with pkgs; [
    pamixer
    paprefs
    pavucontrol
  ];

Executing pamixer gives "Connection error". pavucontrol also fails to
connect to the daemon. But it appears to be running:

$ ps aux | grep pulse
user       2720  0.1  0.0 492636 10516 ?        Sl   12:34   0:04
/nix/store/k8q0bcyyy0x7r0s5l65njgjp6w14yzyz-pulseaudio-9.0/bin/pulseaudio
--start --log-target=syslog
user       2864  0.0  0.0 115656  5596 ?        S    12:34   0:00
/nix/store/k8q0bcyyy0x7r0s5l65njgjp6w14yzyz-pulseaudio-9.0/libexec/pulse/gconf-helper

Trying mpv gives "ALSA lib pulse.c:243:(pulse_connect) PulseAudio: Unable
to connect: Connection refused" which indicates that the daemon is refusing
to connect but I do get sound anyway.

I tried to go to the wiki https://nixos.org/wiki/PulseAudio but it has been
shut down and says I should check the manual but the manual has nothing on
PulseAudio. (I know that the community is trying to move the documentation
to the manual but removing access to the wiki before the manual is complete
yanks the rug out of under people.)

Can someone give me a step by step process for getting PulseAudio working
properly? (Longer term, I want to get my Bluetooth headphones to work so if
you happen to have that also...)

Mark
--
Mark Gardner