[Nix-dev] Would love to get feedback / help to a kodi problem

Matthew Bauer mjbauer95 at gmail.com
Tue May 9 07:51:25 CEST 2017

Stefan Huchler <stefan.huchler at mail.de> writes:

> The main problem I have to debug that is that I dont even know if I have
> nix problems or if this plugin does fix the problem. So I cant just use
> the normal make install, and if that solves the issue seperately do the
> packaging.

Partly this is understanding the split between Nix, Nixpkgs, and NixOS.
You might not actually be rebuilding your changes to nixpkgs. This part
of the manual explains this somewhat:

http://nixos.org/nixos/manual/index.html#sec-getting-sources

So, you may have to do:

# nixos-rebuild switch -I nixpkgs=/my/sources/nixpkgs

and hope everything builds and nothing breaks (if it does you can always
do a rollback)

> Well again I try to find the time to upload my changes as branch. Is
> there no maintainer of the kodi package?

I just pinged @edwtjo who did the initial work on the Kodi plugins.
Hopefully he can at least provide some tips. Not everyone’s quick to
respond, sadly.

> I mean the bug is open since 4 5 days, and I did not even get a notice
> that somebody have seen the bugreport, or is assigned or anything.

Yeah there's so many issues in Nixpkgs it's very easy to get lost. If
there's no Nix developers using Kodi + Xbox360 it’s fairly likely it
will get broken.