[Nix-dev] nixos-rebuild: early nix build vs. early nix config

Christian Theune ct at flyingcircus.io
Wed Mar 2 22:10:00 CET 2016

Hi,

I noticed that bootstrapping the nix config can be hard. An example is when I changed Hydra configuration and existing machines had to realise a channel update that included both a configuration change for Nix which fixed broken access to Hydra and a Kernel build. Our hydra prepares the kernel, but obviously all machines had to build the kernel in order to realise the Nix config.

As we’re already updating Nix early on, would it also make sense to update its config at the same time? Especially if, in the future, the config version may need to match the updated Nix version?

Cheers,
Christian

--
Christian Theune · ct at flyingcircus.io · +49 345 219401 0