[Nix-dev] Open source team messaging: mattermost

Jonn Mostovoy jm at memorici.de
Tue Mar 1 14:25:23 CET 2016

Tomasz, these all are not valid reasons to split the community.
There are *no* valid reasons to split the community.
There is always irccloud engine for people who fail to set a bouncer
up with an amazing Android application and even more amazing Web UI.
Besides, you should remember that IRC is simple. It's difficult to get
IRC wrong, even the distributed part of it. Modern chat applications
promise a lot, but most of the times do not deliver.
Gitter is utter garbage (it doesn't work), hipchat doesn't work
properly, slack is amazing but expensive and proprietary, open source
slack clones even though luring, seem rather unstable.

And once you have committed to some other platform and moved, say, 70%
of the community there, forcing the remaining 30% to follow, people
won't be extremely happy when the platform will turn out to be
garbage.
That happened with Russian-speaking Haskell community, they have
picked Gitter to be the platform and *a lot* of people went inactive
because it loses messages and is buggy as hell. The dreadful thing is
— now administration of Russian-speaking Haskell community can't do
anything about it. It's impossible to move a huge innert mass to
another chat platform after one was chosen over IRC, so people who are
left there have no choice but to suffer.

TL;DR:
IRC isn't modern, but it is stable and its shortcomings can be solved
*in distributed manner*, or via irccloud; Freenode is a de facto
standard for serious projects to host IM chats dedicated to those;
there is no reason to split the community over bikeshedding.
—
Kindest regards,
¬Σ