[Nix-dev] Open source team messaging: mattermost

Tomasz Kontusz tomasz.kontusz at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 09:06:55 CET 2016

Dnia 29 lutego 2016 20:59:06 CET, Arseniy Seroka <ars.seroka at gmail.com> napisał(a):
>IRC is awesome thing, why do we need to replace it?
IRC replacements typically offer:
* history
* long messages with sane visualisation (like hiding parts of them in history until requested) - this greatly reduces the need for pastebins, and keeps everything in one place
* email notifications
* some light styling that works the same for everyone in the channel

And all of that is integrated from the start, without the need to setup bouncers and looking through history on some other service.
Also, IIRC mattermost has a nice visualisation of threads of discussion while still keeping the "common channel" feel (but I might be mistaking it with other service).

As much as I like IRC for being a standardised protocol with many clients, it has not aged well. And movements to refresh it (like IRCv3) are pretty slow. Also you can't ignore the barrier to entry being much higher than for a browser-based chat app.
--
Wysłane za pomocą K-9 Mail.