[Nix-dev] Fwd: Wiki is dead

Rok Garbas rok at garbas.si
Sun Feb 21 22:27:30 CET 2016

Hi all,

As some already seen I create tickets for each page in wiki (more or
less) each wiki page.
All are assigned to "Move the wiki!"[1] milestone, so we can track the progress.

Because of the quantity of content that needs to be migrated, and most
importantly reviewed, we must move with small steps since one-evening
migration away from current wiki is not possible.

Next step is triaging and getting everybody involved to produce best
documentation we can. I'm hoping that migration of the wiki will be
done in a month (or sooner). Current status is we have 180 open
tickets, I will keep the mailing list updated on the status of the
migration on bi-weekly basis.

Few things that some already asked me:
 - we are not moving away from docbook format at this stage (we need
to fix one thing at the time)
 - contributions via PR's is just another form of a wiki, which fits
into our current workflow and removes
 - there will be more documents then just manual (tutorial, cookbooks,
getting started, ...) but conversation about this started some in
another tread so lets continue conversation there.

Important to know is that nothing will happen over night, but we must
keep improving our documentation. I have no doubt that in one year it
will be much easier to learn/use/play with Nix/NixOS.

[1] https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/milestones/Move%20the%20wiki!

--
Rok Garbas - https://garbas.si