[Nix-dev] Fwd: Wiki is dead

Anthony Cowley acowley at gmail.com
Sat Feb 20 22:10:04 CET 2016

> On Feb 20, 2016, at 3:20 PM, Kosyrev Serge <_deepfire at feelingofgreen.ru> wrote:
>
> Anthony Cowley <acowley at gmail.com> writes:
>> Bringing together what Thomas and Freddy say here, it seems to me that
>> a rather ideal mixture would be something unstructured like a wiki
>> with buttons for readers saying, "This helped me" or "This did not
>> work".
>>
>> The point being that once a wiki item gets a handful of positive
>> votes, it gets turned into an Issue on the manual for someone with a
>> better understanding of how things are put together to find it a home.
>
> Anthony, this is an excellent idea that you have came up to!
>
> The question that immediately comes my mind is -- what "this" would mean?
>
> A section? A paragraph? Something even more structured?
>
> ..and then there is this perpetually simple matter of programming
> to make it happen..
>
> --
> с уважениeм / respectfully,
> Косырев Сергей

I was imagining feedback attached to section headings. They could perhaps be buttons inserted with CSS/JS or something tied more into the wiki engine. The links could ping a counter running as a separate web service with what page/section they are associated with.

I think the feedback mechanism should be as simple as a Reddit upvote since any impact it has will be mediated by an expert reviewer who will use their judgment to determine what valuable nuggets should be promoted to the manual.

Anthony