[Nix-dev] duplicate packages?

Roland Koebler rk-list at simple-is-better.org
Fri Aug 12 11:51:47 CEST 2016

Hi,

thanks for your explainations.

> You should look for duplicates in the output of
> nix-store -qR ~/.nix-profile, not in the store directly.
The output is identical in my case, since I use Nix on Debian with only
a single user.

> You only get an homogeneous structure if you update all your packages at
> the same time.
> Doing nix-env -u will "[o]nly upgrade a derivation to newer versions [as
> t]his is the default."
> [...]
> To avoid this, you can upgrade packages with other flags like --eq.
Ok, "nix-env -u --eq" /  "nix-env -u --leq":
- did remove some "duplicates" (e.g. I now only have two acl-2.2.52-entries
  instead of three) and some old versions
- but it also added some (e.g. two xcb-util-0.4.0 instead of one)

> >    Is this because I use nixpkgs-unstable, and everything is moving
> >    there, and is this reduced in the NixOS-release-channels?
> >    Or is there some other reason?
> The problem comes from how nix-env updates packages, but is less visible
> if you follow a stable branch.
Ok.

thanks,
Roland