[Nix-dev] Pulseaudio broken in 14.12: Daemon already running

Kirill Elagin kirelagin at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 12:56:27 CET 2015

On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 11:57 AM, Michael Raskin <7c6f434c at mail.ru> wrote:
>>> From what I understand, there's no way to use `startx' with systemd.
>>
>>There might be some NixOS-specific issues here, I’m not sure. But in
>>general there _is_ a way: you just login on the text console and run
>>`startx`.
>
> No. There are NixOS-specific issues and NixOS-specific
> fixes/workarounds; but after a systemd update it became broken. There
> is a EPERM line for an ioctl for tty when strace-ing X started from
> root login session.

What are those _NixOS-specific_ issues?

>> see also:
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2012-February/004614.html
>
> «
> My recommendation would be to somehow patch your display manager to
> manage your screen only on request, rather then trying to avoid
> a display manager at all.
> <…>
> There's a fundamental contradiction in creating "forked off" sessions like
> this: the whole audit system is written in a way that session ids can
> only change from "unset" to "set" but not from "set" to "set to
> something else".
> »

Huh, I believe this thread is somewhat outdated =). There is no need
for `startx` to start a new session if X server is running on the same
vt. That’s the whole point of, as I said earlier, having recent
versions of `startx` start X on the same vt.

Again: starting with xinit-1.3.4 you just login on the text console,
type `startx` and everything works, because you stay on the same
console and logind has already given you all the required permissions.
At least, that’s how it works in theory and that’s what I see on my
Gentoo laptop.