[Nix-dev] Zero Hydra Failures (ZHF) project for NixOS

Michael Raskin 7c6f434c at mail.ru
Sat Oct 25 18:07:15 CEST 2014

>We have 2 solution, either we stop the regressions when a pull request
>(PR) is made, or we stop it when the fire is in.  The fireman role is
>hard to keep, and we should be verifying as much as possible at the PR
>time.  Also, if we want to avoid firemans, we probably want to forbid
>pushing patches to the repository without having made a pull request
>at first.  Which means, no more massive updates without checks.

We need a PR fireman already…

And Travis still has false-failure rates that eclipse the worst failures
of Hydra.

>One other way, is to have an "inbound", and a "nightly" branch.  Every
>day, we merge in "nightly", the last green-build  of the "inbound"
>branch which got tested by Hydra.  This way we do not have a strict
>policy for pushing to "inbound".  The only policy being that nobody
>merge into "inbound" if it is broken.  This is the model used by
>Mozilla.

I guess we could keep more or less the same policy as for current master
(«remember, some people try to use the master branch on their systems»)
with this split.

Maybe fireman work could be reduced to «it's OK to revert if it breaks
something on Hydra».