[Nix-dev] gcc has stopped working on Mac OS X Mavericks

Michael Sperber sperber at deinprogramm.de
Thu Oct 23 21:03:26 CEST 2014

Thanks for the prompt reply!

"John Wiegley" <johnw at newartisans.com> writes:

>> \[\][nix-shell:~/temp]$\[\] gcc x.c
>> ld: file not found: /usr/lib/system/libsystem_coreservices.dylib for architecture x86_64
>
>> I'm stumped with this.  Just to be sure, I built gccApple from source, but
>> the problem persists.  Has anyone seen this?
>
> We haven't used gccApple in several weeks now.  It sounds like a system update
> moving a binary which something in your Nix store depended on.  You should try
> to track down who in your store has that reference, and then rebuild that
> derivation.

That's what I thought, but that file (libsystem_coreservices.dylib) is
nowhere in my Time Machine backup.  Moreover, I just tried to rebuild
nix from scratch and from source (i.e. by deleting /nix, reinstalling
via curl, and then doing nix-env --upgrade relative to a fresh git
checkout), and came out with the same error.

Also, maybe I misunderstood you - what do you mean by "reference"?  It
seems the reference is in gcc itself - the C file I'm compiling is
trivial:

[nix-shell:~/]$ gcc ~/temp/x.c
ld: file not found: /usr/lib/system/libsystem_coreservices.dylib for architecture x86_64

[nix-shell:~/]$ which gcc
/nix/store/65yrkjclp6g71j9x16vcglqdw62xbnx7-gcc-wrapper-4.8.3/bin/gcc

Any hints?

--
Regards,
Mike