[Nix-dev] Our policy for upgrading haskellPackages

Peter Simons simons at cryp.to
Tue Oct 21 17:07:47 CEST 2014

Hi John,

 > I think a lot of what I'm noticing is that packages I care about and
 > rely on fall within those 2% [...].

I am sorry about that. I had no intention to disrupt your working environment.
Next time I update a fundamental library in haskellPackages, I'll open a pull
request before the merge and leave it open for a few days so that everyone has
a chance to comment and/or contribute on the choices I've made. I should have
done that in case of the network/haskell-src-exts update, too. I guess, I was
too impatient after having spent so much time trying to fix broken packages
already that I rushed into the merge because I wanted this bloody update
process to be over.

 > Sometimes they get marked as "broken" and left broken for longer than I'd
 > like.

That is to be expected, I'm afraid. When I know how to fix a build, I'll commit
the fix. I commit "meta.broken = true" only if I cannot fix it. I'd guess
others do it the same way. So if a package is marked "broken", you should
probably not expect someone else to fix it.

 > I'll just keep doing what I have been doing, and fix the breakages as they
 > come up.

I'll try to make life easier for you by communicating better before I push
intrusive changes.

Best regards,
Peter