[Nix-dev] Our policy for upgrading haskellPackages

John Wiegley johnw at newartisans.com
Tue Oct 21 20:06:07 CEST 2014

>> Sometimes they get marked as "broken" and left broken for longer than I'd
>> like.

> That is to be expected, I'm afraid. When I know how to fix a build, I'll
> commit the fix. I commit "meta.broken = true" only if I cannot fix it. I'd
> guess others do it the same way. So if a package is marked "broken", you
> should probably not expect someone else to fix it.

I build with allowBroken here now, and try to build a lot of packages nightly,
so for my part I'll get more proactive about marking things as unbroken that
I'm able to build.

> I'll try to make life easier for you by communicating better before I push
> intrusive changes.

I think in this case I over-reacted, Peter.  You're doing a heroic job with
little thanks, and all I want to do is ease your path.  Keep on doing what you
have been doing, and I'll take it as my responsibility to pick up the pieces
moreso than I have been doing.

Also, is there some way I can be notified about *all* Hydra breakages of
Haskell packages, without listing myself as maintainer on all of them?

John