[Nix-dev] Our policy for upgrading haskellPackages

John Wiegley johnw at newartisans.com
Sun Oct 19 23:42:04 CEST 2014

> The recent update to random 1.x, Yesod 1.4, and network 2.6.x was one of the
> most disruptive updates we've ever done, and it broke 32 packages out of a
> total of 1776 -- less than 2% -- and many of those broken packages are
> somewhat obscure ones, really. From point of view, it feels unfair say that
> "the degree of breakage in haskellPackages is too much to handle". There are
> many ways to deal with the situation. You can ...

>  - help to fix the builds,

>  - revoke the offending updates locally, or

>  - run "nix-env --set-flag keep true ..." on broken packages to keep the
>    stable version around.

I think a lot of what I'm noticing is that packages I care about and rely on
fall within those 2%, and sometimes they get marked as "broken" and left
broken for longer than I'd like.  But if the degree of impact is really that
small, and if several of the breakages I'm seeing only affect darwin, then
I'll just keep doing what I have been doing, and fix the breakages as they
come up.

Thanks,
  John