[Nix-dev] New website

Wout Mertens wout.mertens at gmail.com
Sat May 31 09:10:50 CEST 2014

So concretely:

   - "Help" should be "Documentation" or "Docs", I tripped over the same
   thing
   - I miss the very visible introduction to each of the components
      - Nix begets Nixpkgs begets NixOS begets NixOps (so is DisNix dead?).
      - The Projects pulldown could be converted into vertical tabs on the
      index page
      - A carousel could be used to highlight each: Logo, blurb, link to
      the project page
   - I see no mention of Nixpkgs at all, while I think that's an excellent
   foot in the door.
      - "Just install this thing without any dependencies, on any
      distribution, and all your installation woes are solved!".
      - I know you guys live in a NixOS world, but I'm still trying to
      convince management of even using Nixpkgs on Ubuntu 12.04
   - For project discovery, a 2-minute video is excellent. I've spent many
   a 2-5 minute with colleagues watching a video about some project we were
   discovering.
      - I suppose I could make one but I feel unqualified :)
   - The Twitter stream should be in a shorter box but below the blogs,
   then commits, ordering news in order of most likely use to homepage
   visitors.
      - I'm reasoning that visitors want to learn about NixOS, and those
      who know go to github or use the mailing list
   - Shouldn't monitor.nixos.org and status.nixos.org also be linked? How
   about together with Hydra in a Status dropdown?

(Dis|A)greements?

Wout.