[Nix-dev] New website

Michael Raskin 7c6f434c at mail.ru
Sat May 31 10:19:45 CEST 2014

>   - "Help" should be "Documentation" or "Docs", I tripped over the same
>   thing

Actually, the design i too like GitHub where we have learned that the
top bar is about _site platform_, not about the project in question.

I don't know whether this is a problem for many others but it may be
that people don't pay much attention to the top bar.

>   - I miss the very visible introduction to each of the components
>      - Nix begets Nixpkgs begets NixOS begets NixOps (so is DisNix dead?).

Yes, the granularity of getting some use from each step without the rest
was better visible before.

>      - The Projects pulldown could be converted into vertical tabs on the
>      index page
>      - A carousel could be used to highlight each: Logo, blurb, link to
>      the project page

Carousels with blurbs are often annoying. You start to read and it
switches.

>   - I see no mention of Nixpkgs at all, while I think that's an excellent
>   foot in the door.
>      - "Just install this thing without any dependencies, on any
>      distribution, and all your installation woes are solved!".
>      - I know you guys live in a NixOS world, but I'm still trying to
>      convince management of even using Nixpkgs on Ubuntu 12.04

Agreed. I would actually give many novices advice to install Nixpkgs
first, so they don't have to know how NixOS specifies partition layouts
etc., then install NixOS when they are comfortable using Nix.

>   - For project discovery, a 2-minute video is excellent. I've spent many
>   a 2-5 minute with colleagues watching a video about some project we were
>   discovering.
>      - I suppose I could make one but I feel unqualified :)

Given that for Nix* even the screenshots can be plain text most of the
time, I'd say that transcript is better than video almost always…

>   - The Twitter stream should be in a shorter box but below the blogs,
>   then commits, ordering news in order of most likely use to homepage
>   visitors.
>      - I'm reasoning that visitors want to learn about NixOS, and those
>      who know go to github or use the mailing list

I agree that blog posts usually assume less context than Twitter
messages and obviously most commit messages assume understanding the
general structure of code.

So for the newcomers it is reasonable to give them something they can
understand immediately.

>   - Shouldn't monitor.nixos.org and status.nixos.org also be linked? How
>   about together with Hydra in a Status dropdown?

Ho, there is status.nixos.org…

Not sure if either of this should be on the front page. Although putting
them under the Hydra link in a dropdown is probably a good idea.