[Nix-dev] New website

Jay Sulzberger jays at panix.com
Fri May 30 22:53:42 CEST 2014

On Fri, 30 May 2014, M. P. Ashton <data at imap.cc> wrote:

> I don't mind the new website at all. I think it looks nice, and it does
> seem more professional than the old one.
>
> It also has a more promotional bent, which may or may not fit the
> project's goals -- I don't know if world domination is an aim for the
> project right now, but the new website seems to satisfy that goal much
> better than the old one.
>
> I don't care for websites sending me to external servers, mostly because
> the load time tends to become much longer, and occasionally the external
> servers don't cooperate. But for me it's not such a big deal. I'm pretty
> sure Google and NSA and Facebook know more about me than I do, even if I
> studiously use DuckDuckGo (which is probably a trigger word).

I think the website should not, by design, send tracking
information to any third party.

We may be being tracked with exquisite care and by means of
delightfully subtle statistics, but formal collaboration is
different from acquiescence.  We may not actively fight, on this
front, the battle against the Panopticon Machine of the
Englobulators, but neither need we give them for free what is
ours, and not theirs, by right.

oo--JS.