[Nix-dev] Binary cache for local hydra server

Rob Vermaas rob.vermaas at gmail.com
Mon May 19 12:02:44 CEST 2014

Hi,

I want to set up a binary cache for my locally running hydra and I would
> be very thankful for some suggestions how to do that.
> The binary cache should provide what http://cache.nixos.org provides for
> http://hydra.nixos.org, that is it should work as a fast way to serve
> the nix-packages build by hydra.
>
> Looking through the configurations for delft/lucifer I found that it is
> executing a local script "mirror-nixos-stable.sh" in a service and I
> assume that script transfers the built nix packages to the binary cache.
> Can anyone tell me more about the "magic" that that script is doing?
> Also, what would be the best server to use as binary cache? E.g. what is
> being used for cache.nixos.org? Or anything else I should/could consider
> or think about?

The scripts for updating the channel, creating the binary caches can be
found here: https://nixos.org/repos/nix/release/trunk/channels/

For cache.nixos.org we actually use an S3 bucket with Amazon CloudFront in
front of it. So no servers involved in serving this content. You don't need
a big machine though to server such static contents.

Cheers,
Rob