[Nix-dev] Binary cache for local hydra server

Thomas Strobel ts468 at cam.ac.uk
Mon May 19 10:16:50 CEST 2014

Hi there!

I want to set up a binary cache for my locally running hydra and I would
be very thankful for some suggestions how to do that.
The binary cache should provide what http://cache.nixos.org provides for
http://hydra.nixos.org, that is it should work as a fast way to serve
the nix-packages build by hydra.

Looking through the configurations for delft/lucifer I found that it is
executing a local script "mirror-nixos-stable.sh" in a service and I
assume that script transfers the built nix packages to the binary cache.
Can anyone tell me more about the "magic" that that script is doing?
Also, what would be the best server to use as binary cache? E.g. what is
being used for cache.nixos.org? Or anything else I should/could consider
or think about?

In advance, many thanks for your help!

  Thomas