[Nix-dev] GCC in pkgs.buildEnv.paths

Павел Чуприков pschuprikov at gmail.com
Wed May 21 21:59:29 CEST 2014

Hello,

Following the https://nixos.org/wiki/Howto_keep_multiple_packages_up_to_date_at_once,

I came up with my ~/.nixpkgs/config.nix file looking like this (for testing
purposes):

{
    packageOverrides = pkgs : {
    testgcc = pkgs.buildEnv { name = "testgcc"; paths = with pkgs; [ gcc ];
};
  };
}

Running
1) nix-env -iA nixos.pkgs.gcc
or
2) nix-env -iA nixos.pkgs.testgcc

I get different (with respect to 1) and 2)) derivations for some packages
(e.g glibc and gcc).
I use 14.04 channel.

Could you please tell me why does it happen?
What is the reason that gcc-wrapper gets different input arguments?

It really bothers me, because installing new nixos.pkgs.testgcc causes
rebuild of glibc,
while I'm perfectly OK with the version of gcc, glibc, whatever that
corresponds to
nixos.pkgs.gcc (and has prebuilt binaries).

Regards,
Pavel.