[Nix-dev] systemd in initrd

Luca Bruno lethalman88 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 17:43:51 CEST 2014

On 21/08/2014 17:35, Alexander Zubkov wrote:
> etc, etc, ... and viola - we will not be needing root filesystem at all. :)
>
> My option is keep initrd as simple as possible and not to bound it to
> particular init system. Because one day may be someone will make another
> option for init system in nixos.
>
> Also, if somebody cares, I'm not a big fan of systemd, but nixos
> interesting aspects and some sort of abstraction layer from systemd
> allows this compromise. So please no more systemd. :)
Nixos is already very tied to systemd. I'm not a fan of systemd either,
however think of using systemd just for the dependencies part at initrd
time. Being simple is for year '90, if you want it simple is perhaps
because you don't have certain needs.

I agree, nixos could have generic option for an init system, but it does
not apply to this discussion. If there will be a generic interface to
any init systems in nixos, then the initrd will be ported to it.

If you have a more technical reason about not having systemd in initrd,
please tell me.

Best regards,