[Nix-dev] systemd in initrd

Alexander Zubkov green at msu.ru
Thu Aug 21 17:35:15 CEST 2014

On 2014-08-21 17:55, Eelco Dolstra wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 21/08/14 15:39, Luca Bruno wrote:
>
>> The advantages of using systemd are:
> [snip]
>
> Another advantage: starting journald very early.
>
> Also: running sshd in the initrd to support receiving the encryption key of the
> root disk via "nixops send-keys" :-)

etc, etc, ... and viola - we will not be needing root filesystem at all. :)

My option is keep initrd as simple as possible and not to bound it to
particular init system. Because one day may be someone will make another
option for init system in nixos.

Also, if somebody cares, I'm not a big fan of systemd, but nixos
interesting aspects and some sort of abstraction layer from systemd
allows this compromise. So please no more systemd. :)