[Nix-dev] systemd in initrd

Alexander Zubkov green at msu.ru
Thu Aug 21 18:30:07 CEST 2014

 > Being simple is for year '90
It is hard to argue so strong opinion. :) By simple, I do not mean
primitive. I mean using enough and appropriate tools to do the work,
without extra unneeded stuff.

Initrd is not a generic system in my mind. It is just sequence of
actions to mount root.
1) If this sequence needs to be sorted in some way - I think hand
sorting is enough. More to say, any automatic "sorting application" will
limit the use cases by those only supported by this "sorting
application" logic.
2) There is no need to manage services or processes in initrd, only
start it. So any management system is overkill here.
3) Do we need all the increasing capabilities of systemd in the initrd?
4) It should be examined if size of initrd will not grow too much. May
be not an issue at all.