[Nix-dev] [***SPAM***] Re: Wiki proposal (NixOS Proposal Enhancement or NPE?): "Packages" category on wiki

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Sun May 19 19:35:33 CEST 2013

> Pardon - I thought we have already agreed that current state of wiki
> categorization is far from ideal
About your proposed contributions to the wiki:
Don't ask - the problem is always "lack of contributors".
So whatever you do is likely to improve user experience.
So just get started. Content can be moved fast. Creating it is what is
causing work.

I'd prefer the "extract docs from source" solution. But I don't know how
to integrate it into media wiki. Sometimes it might be best to reference
a foreign wiki - because man power on the nix eco system is still
limited.

Spam problem:
>From April 11 on captchas were required - we still have new spam.
Now users creating spam pages are created - follow the _recent changes_
link on the wiki.
How bad it is? Each second page is spam. Eg click _random page_ 20 times
and you'll agree.

That we have captchas and still get spammed looks like human intelligence
(or automated human intelligence) could be taking action.

So now I have the impression that spammers look for media wiki wikis -
and ask humans (or special bots) to process the captchas.

The only way to protect against that is "being non standard" - or making
it easy to clean up - or change the captcha system or ... ?
(Widely guessing)

Creating a non standard wiki can be done in not too much time.
For fun I wrote a quick & dirty PHP wiki which stores content in git:
http://vim-wiki.mawercer.de/wiki/index.html

(Nobody from the vim community contributed to it - so I guess
its true that lack of contributors is the main problem in most cases)

The wiki still provides value to "nix" users - hosting spam is bad for
other reasons.

Marc Weber