[Nix-dev] [***SPAM***] Re: Wiki proposal (NixOS Proposal Enhancement or NPE?): "Packages" category on wiki

phreedom at yandex.ru phreedom at yandex.ru
Sun May 19 20:10:36 CEST 2013

On Воскресенье 19 мая 2013 19:35:33 Marc Weber wrote:
> That we have captchas and still get spammed looks like human intelligence
> (or automated human intelligence) could be taking action.
>
> So now I have the impression that spammers look for media wiki wikis -
> and ask humans (or special bots) to process the captchas.
>
> The only way to protect against that is "being non standard" - or making
> it easy to clean up - or change the captcha system or ... ?
> (Widely guessing)
>
> Creating a non standard wiki can be done in not too much time.
> For fun I wrote a quick & dirty PHP wiki which stores content in git:
> http://vim-wiki.mawercer.de/wiki/index.html

Captchas don't protect against captcha-solving services which run at around $4
per 1k captchas. If someone decides that spamming our wiki is worth more than
$0.004, then captcha can't help. Such services however only parse pictures so
if there are any nonstandard steps required to post, 99% of spam would
disappear.