[Nix-dev] Wiki proposal (NixOS Proposal Enhancement or NPE?): "Packages" category on wiki

Domen Kožar domen at dev.si
Sun May 19 18:40:05 CEST 2013

On Sun, May 19, 2013 at 6:32 PM, Marc Weber <marco-oweber at gmx.de> wrote:

> > I think this would greatly reduce the mess in current wiki ecosystem,
> Which is the current mess? Before you want to "improve" something you
> have to talk about whats wrong.

Pardon - I thought we have already agreed that current state of wiki
categorization is far from ideal

> In any case you might just want to "do it" - eg start a wiki page, and
> see whether people adopt it.

I plan to spend a few hours next weekend, if there are no better
alternatives proposed.

> There is an alternative: Document packages in code. You always have the
> info on you disk, and it will be easier to maintain - because if you
> drop or refactor a package you won't miss the documentation.

I wouldn't force users to read nix files to find documentation, but maybe
we can write glue code to include documentation in packages and later
extract that to wiki.