[Nix-dev] NixOS on Linode

Malcolm Matalka mmatalka at gmail.com
Tue Apr 9 23:09:14 CEST 2013

Thank you for the responses everyone.  I'm such a noob at this, I have
some questions.

I'm trying to follow the Rackspace directions, but I'm running into
issues.

1 - I couldn't get anywhere with the Rescue Disk, because I couldn't
install anything on ~.  So instead I created a Gentoo partition of 5
gigs, then devoted the remaining room for where I want to install NixOS

2 - I tried to follow the Rackspace directions but I ran into issues.
The farthest I got was nixos-install and it saying it would not install
because '/' was not a real mount point (or something similar, sorry I
don't have the output).

So here is what I think I should be doing, and hopefully someone can
school me:

1 - I need to have a place I can mount the NixOS install ISO

2 - I need to unsquash that filesystem into a dir so it looks like a
running installation iso

3 - I need to chroot into this, then I can install NixOS as if I were
installing while running the installation ISO.  In this case I should
mount my destination location to /mnt, modify
/mnt/etc/nixos/configuration.nix and do nixos-install

Unfortunately, at step 3 is where I get an error.

Do I understand the procedure correctly?  Am I messing up someplace
obvious?

Thanks!