[Nix-dev] NixOS on Linode

Kevin Quick quick at sparq.org
Tue Apr 9 08:03:19 CEST 2013

Malcolm,

Yes, the wiki page is a bit outdated.  I recently built NixOS on Linode
largely following this page instead:
http://nixos.org/wiki/Install_NixOS_on_Rackspace_Cloud_Servers

You'll need to build some other natively supported distribution first,
and then you can generally follow the above to build a NixOS boot disk.

In the Linode dashboard, configure the "kernel" for the NixOS
configuration profile to be "pv-grub-x86_64".  I also selected "Xenify
Distro" and "Disable updatedb", but not "modules.dep Helper" and
"Automount devtmpfs".

Here are some excerpts from my configuration.nix:

{ config, pkgs, modulesPath, ... }:

{
  require =
    [ ./hardware-configuration.nix   # This is essentially empty

      # The following should be used, but can't be currently because
      # services.mingettys.ttys is no longer a valid specification, so
      # individual elements are reproduced below
      # "${modulesPath}/virtualisation/xen-domU.nix"
    ];

  boot = {
    initrd.kernelModules = [ "xen-blkfront" "xen-fbfront" "xen-netfront" "xen-kbdfront" ];
    loader.grub = {
      enable = true;
      version = 1;
      extraPerEntryConfig = "root (hd0)";
      device = "nodev";
    };
    extraKernelParams=["root=/dev/xvda" "console=hvc0" "earlyprintk=xen"];
    kernelPackages = pkgs.linuxPackages_3_7;
  };
  fileSystems =
    [ { mountPoint = "/";
        device = "/dev/xvda";
	     options = "noatime,nodiratime,errors=remount-ro,barrier=0";
      }
    ];
  swapDevices = [ { device = "/dev/xvdb"; }];

Good Luck,
  Kevin

Malcolm Matalka writes:

> Hello! I'm wondering if anyone has any tips on getting NixOS on Linode?
> I know there is a wiki page, but it seems outdated.  The Linode docs on
> running a custom linux distro are also incomplete.
>
> I was under the impression I could create a NixOS image on Vbox at home,
> and then just upload that and run it, but this doesn't seem to be the
> case.  Could anyone provide a high-level overview of it?
>
> Thanks!
>
> /Malcolm

Kevin Quick