[Nix-dev] [Nix-commits] [NixOS/nixpkgs] 8ea11e: ffmpeg: update to 1.0

Lluís Batlle i Rossell viric at viric.name
Sun Sep 30 12:18:34 CEST 2012

On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 12:12:30PM +0200, Vladimír Čunát wrote:
> Hi.
>
> On 09/30/2012 01:00 AM, Eelco Dolstra wrote:
> >>   ffmpeg: update to 1.0
> >
> >This breaks a lot of things: http://hydra.nixos.org/eval/742774
>
> It's the same situation all the time. We shouldn't have packages
> depending on ffmpeg's newest branch directly, because major ffmpeg
> branch updates will almost never work without updating the depending
> packages as well.
>
> I suggest using attributes like ffmpeg_0_11, ffmpeg_1_0, etc. Let
> people who upgrade individual packages try compatibility with newer
> versions (and let them decide how many ffmpeg branches we need).

Sorry for the break. I tried to build vlc before pushing, it built fine, and
then I imagined that it hadn't relevant API changes. And I had seen in the
ffmpeg website that they strongly recommend everyone to update, so I decided to
go ahead.

I'm fine with the multiple attributes like proposed by Vladimír.

Regards,
Lluís.