[Nix-dev] [Nix-commits] [NixOS/nixpkgs] 8ea11e: ffmpeg: update to 1.0

Vladimír Čunát vcunat at gmail.com
Sun Sep 30 12:12:30 CEST 2012

Hi.

On 09/30/2012 01:00 AM, Eelco Dolstra wrote:
>>    ffmpeg: update to 1.0
>
> This breaks a lot of things: http://hydra.nixos.org/eval/742774

It's the same situation all the time. We shouldn't have packages
depending on ffmpeg's newest branch directly, because major ffmpeg
branch updates will almost never work without updating the depending
packages as well.

I suggest using attributes like ffmpeg_0_11, ffmpeg_1_0, etc. Let people
who upgrade individual packages try compatibility with newer versions
(and let them decide how many ffmpeg branches we need).

Vlada