[Nix-dev] Improving the Developer Experience in the Nix Community

Shea Levy shea at shealevy.com
Tue Jun 26 17:58:21 CEST 2012

On Jun 26, 2012, at 10:52 AM, Marc Weber <marco-oweber at gmx.de> wrote:

> :) I've been at that point (wanting to fork) in the past as well.
> But I couldn't afford the costs. And I also don't think it will benefit
> us all splitting the community. I tried to solve the most urgent issues
> (patch submitting) by setting up gists and hope you all start using it
> so that we can give it a try.

Thanks for that. I'll try to find some time to look at it later.

> It should be fastest because you don't
> even have to use a web interface - just git fetch should be enough to
> understand somewhat what's going on.
>
> In my case it was me needing parallel builds - and not being able to
> submit patches caused me to keep local ones (rendering me unable to use
> hydras binaries)...
>
> Currently I'd like to understand the real issues / differences and
> forces and ways to collaborate before joining/ causing a fork blindly.

I agree. That's why I'm hoping people will come out and explicitly describe their concerns.

About those: I have a thought about how to make your solutions more appealing and possibly get them into nixpkgs, but it will have to wait until either recursive nix ( https://github.com/NixOS/nix/issues/13 ) is available or Eelco is ready to accept imports from derivation outputs in nixpkgs (which may be made more palatable by https://github.com/NixOS/nix/pull/31 ).