[Nix-dev] Improving the Developer Experience in the Nix Community

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Tue Jun 26 16:52:47 CEST 2012

:) I've been at that point (wanting to fork) in the past as well.
But I couldn't afford the costs. And I also don't think it will benefit
us all splitting the community. I tried to solve the most urgent issues
(patch submitting) by setting up gists and hope you all start using it
so that we can give it a try. It should be fastest because you don't
even have to use a web interface - just git fetch should be enough to
understand somewhat what's going on.

In my case it was me needing parallel builds - and not being able to
submit patches caused me to keep local ones (rendering me unable to use
hydras binaries)...

Currently I'd like to understand the real issues / differences and
forces and ways to collaborate before joining/ causing a fork blindly.

In any case having something such as "hydra" is vital. So currently
there is no choice (talking about me).

>     b) Those who propose alternatives need to be willing to step up
>     and do the work necessary to implement those alternatives
>     themselves. For example, if you think too many emails to the list
>     get dropped with no response, you need to be willing to respond to
>     as many of the emails as possible.
About my python branches: You're right. It should be still me proofing
why my branch fixes some problems.. I still haven't had time for it.

About Haskell and Ruby etc - everybody knows that my branches exist - and
that most code can be found on github - if people are interested they
can help me test.

Let's not forget that in the end we all compete with ubuntu, apple,
Microsoft etc - because we all depend on a working system (to run our
servers or write private mail)

As always - this is only my view on it.

Marc Weber