[Nix-dev] Improving the Developer Experience in the NixCommunity

Michael Raskin 7c6f434c at mail.ru
Tue Jun 26 18:15:18 CEST 2012

>Let's not forget that in the end we all compete with ubuntu, apple,
>Microsoft etc - because we all depend on a working system (to run our
>servers or write private mail)

Actually, the core that is complex enough to need collaboration is quite
small. I tried to share everything - with medium-easy half-experimental
packages included - and it looks like the best practice is not to share
such things via the main projects (and put them into a personal repo or
into configurations/ instead).

Also, for many of us it is not even competition with Ubuntu - I can
almost comfortably force minimal Debian system to work and provide me
with drivers, writing initscripts is simple if you don't need configs.
So the risk is not that high, and fork can actually help to attract some
other people into the project.