[Nix-dev] Announcing free-nix: the free Linux distribution based on the Nix package manager

Eelco Dolstra eelco.dolstra at logicblox.com
Tue Jun 26 14:50:52 CEST 2012

Hi,

On 26/06/12 06:45, Peter Simons wrote:

> it is my pleasure to announce the free-nix project, which aims to provide a
> user- and developer-friendly free Linux distribution based on the Nix package
> manager.

Well, forking is the most sincere form of flattery, but...

I told you a few days ago via private email that I'm inclined to give existing
SVN committers (and new contributors who've shown that they contribute
good-quality patches) commit access to the main repo, since the overhead of
doing a pull request for every little package update is kinda high.  So if
that's the main reason for forking, you could have saved yourself the effort.

Of course, if it's about "democratic principles", feel free to fork.  Technical
issues should be decided on the basis of technical arguments, not a vote of the
public.  I don't think most successful FOSS projects are "democratic" in the
sense that you mean.

P.S.: regarding "a positive attitude towards contributors": I think I've always
been pretty liberal in giving commit access to the SVN repo, so I don't see a
negative attitude there.  But a positive attitude doesn't mean that we should
apply bad contributions.

--
Eelco Dolstra | LogicBlox, Inc. | http://www.st.ewi.tudelft.nl/~dolstra/