[Nix-dev] Nixpkgs and NixOS moved to GitHub

Florian Friesdorf flo at chaoflow.net
Sat Jun 23 02:26:23 CEST 2012

On Fri, 22 Jun 2012 03:08:21 +0400, Kirill Elagin <kirelagin at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2012/6/22 Eelco Dolstra <eelco.dolstra at logicblox.com>
>
> > One slight complication here is that since GitHub doesn't disable
> > non-fast-forward commits, every committer actually *can* cause data loss
> > in the
> > repository.
> >
> You mean force push, right? This can be solved by keeping a reference repo
> somewhere in your own private place or even on Gitorious (it's possible
> there to configure a repo to deny force pushing). I don't think that's a
> problem at all.

Also covered by "social contract": don't use -f except if you are the
only person pushing to the repo and even then only if well considered.

> By the way, when talking about workflow, we should take into account that
> it is possible to create different teams inside one organisation with
> different access rights to different repos.

I think that would be over-engineered in the current situation, but
cool once we have >100 maintainers or something

--
Florian Friesdorf <flo at chaoflow.net>
  GPG FPR: 7A13 5EEE 1421 9FC2 108D  BAAF 38F8 99A3 0C45 F083
Jabber/XMPP: flo at chaoflow.net
IRC: chaoflow on freenode,ircnet,blafasel,OFTC