[Nix-dev] Nixpkgs and NixOS moved to GitHub

Kirill Elagin kirelagin at gmail.com
Sat Jun 23 09:53:56 CEST 2012

2012/6/23 Florian Friesdorf <flo at chaoflow.net>

> On Fri, 22 Jun 2012 03:08:21 +0400, Kirill Elagin <kirelagin at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > 2012/6/22 Eelco Dolstra <eelco.dolstra at logicblox.com>
> >
> > > One slight complication here is that since GitHub doesn't disable
> > > non-fast-forward commits, every committer actually *can* cause data
> loss
> > > in the
> > > repository.
> > >
> > You mean force push, right? This can be solved by keeping a reference
> repo
> > somewhere in your own private place or even on Gitorious (it's possible
> > there to configure a repo to deny force pushing). I don't think that's a
> > problem at all.
>
> Also covered by "social contract": don't use -f except if you are the
> only person pushing to the repo and even then only if well considered.

Ah, turns out there was a problem with terminology. Eelco really meant
non-fast-forward pushes: it's a situation when someone pushed to the repo
after you pulled from it, so if you try to push without pulling those
changes, this will be non-fast-forward push. It's effectively very similar
to force pushing and has pretty the same consequences—loss of history. I've
just tried it—GitHub rejects non-ff pushes by default (unless you use '+'
refspec). So, yeah, still social contract =).

We'll have to write a tutorial on how to contribute and a quick reference
for those with push access. Something like:

   1. git clone
   2. code-commit-code-commit-code-commit-…
   3. git pull --rebase
   4. git push

I guess, there must be such a tutorial already on the internets as lots of
projects need it. And, of course, a reference to [gitref][1] and [Pro
Git][2] for those who interested in more detailed overviews.

And one more thing. If I got it right, there are suggestions to make the
repo pushable for everyone. That's absolutely a crazy idea.

[1]: http://gitref.org/
[2]: http://git-scm.com/book

--
Кирилл Елагин