[Nix-dev] How do I add Firefox extensions?

Bill Trost trost at cloud.rain.com
Tue Dec 18 03:50:04 CET 2012

Vlada wrote:
    On 12/16/2012 03:22 AM, Bill Trost wrote:
    > It looks like gecko-mediaplayer is failing because
    > gcc is too new for the version in the tree.

    I believe I just tried this plugin a year or two ago and it already
    wasn't working (I don't think it's standard, you have probably some
    settings to pull it in).

    Feel free to fix it, updating to the newest version may fix all the
    problems.

Thanks for the suggestion, but things are quickly turning to turtles all
the way down: The latest gecko-mediaplayer doesn't like the gmtk that's
present in the nixpkgs tree; if I try upgrading that, the compilation
fails with things like

    plugin.cpp:334:72: error: 'NPString' has no member named 'utf8characters'

I can't even figure out what package that type is supposedly coming
from.

I'm a little amazed out how difficult this is turning out to be --
it seems like getting videos playing in Firefox should be basic,
out-of-the-box functionality, not an exercise in distro management (I
get to do enough of that at work, thank you!).

Bill