[Nix-dev] Nix SQLite branch merged

Michael Raskin 7c6f434c at mail.ru
Sat Feb 12 17:20:54 CET 2011

>Whenever something is downloaded from hydra, the files are padded to
>some multiple of power-of-two by zero bytes (!) which causes a lot of
>trouble.
>I'm using regular NixOS from trunk. The whole system is on Btrfs, but
>I don't think that should be a problem.

But it is.

I am a BtrFS user myself and I had this problem once; Eelco was kind
enough to agree not to remove the semi-fix/semi-workaround from Nix
trunk, but it may never have made its way to SQLite branch. Linux
kernel 2.6.37 has BtrFS version with this problem fixed in FS itself.

glibc relies on FS implementing fallocate call just like POSIX
posix_fallocate is described. Linux kernel promises only that
fallocate call is something that allows to build posix_fallocate
upon it. POSIX makes compliance with posix_fallocate description
required at libc-level.

Early BtrFS versions had so many problems that BtrFS devs rejected
my bug report because of lack of clarity _what_ FS has to provide.
Later, when stability and space usage issues became less pressing,
the accepted this as a bug and fixed that (by that time it was
reasonable to fix such "small" bugs).