[Nix-dev] Nix SQLite branch merged

Lluís Batlle i Rossell viriketo at gmail.com
Sat Feb 12 11:44:15 CET 2011

On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 10:51:31AM +0100, Vladimír Čunát wrote:
> Hi.
> On 11 February 2011 13:49, Eelco Dolstra <e.dolstra at tudelft.nl> wrote:
> > I've merged the sqlite branch into the Nix trunk.  This replaces the flat file
> > storage of Nix store path metadata in /nix/var/nix/db with a SQLite database.
>
> Months ago I tried nixSqlite and encountered a problem with
> substitutes. I thought I were doing something wrong, so I just
> reverted back. Now I've got the problem again.
>
> Whenever something is downloaded from hydra, the files are padded to
> some multiple of power-of-two by zero bytes (!) which causes a lot of
> trouble.
> Am I the only one to whom this happens? The problem is found out
> immediately after unpacking - the hashes don't agree and substitution
> exits with failure.
>
> I'm using regular NixOS from trunk. The whole system is on Btrfs, but
> I don't think that should be a problem.

I've been using nixSqlite since when it became stable enough; half a year? Maybe
more. All worked.

Only once I got a database corruption in a computer, that even sqlite could not
recover. I have no idea of what caused that... I remember the computer in
question had troubles powering down; it may be that.

On the other hand, remember that NIX_OTHER_STORES only works with 'the same
nix'. So, a sqlite nix can only read NIX_OTHER_STORES that are also sqlite. And
a non-sqlite, those that are not sqlite.

Regards,
Lluís.