[Nix-dev] nix-env and meta

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Wed Oct 6 01:04:41 CEST 2010

Excerpts from Yury G. Kudryashov's message of Tue Oct 05 21:38:50 +0200 2010:
> What of metadata does nix-env know about?
>
> Some time ago Phreedom changed a few packages to create $out/nix-
> support/propagated-user-env-packages. It is nice except for one side effect:
> kdepim now depends on kdepim-runtime. And kdelibs (as well as other kde
> packages) should propagate kdebase-runtime to user env.
>
> I'd like to have all the information about "what is propagated" handled by
> nix, not bash/perl. It is easy to achieve for normal propagatedBuildInputs
> (see, e.g., builderDefs) but I don't know how to make nix-env aware of such
> propagations. Any ideas?

Can you give some reasons why you dislike bash perl for that?

The build script which creates your user env is reading that information
to automatically add useful optional dependencies this way.

Which of them should be installed by default always? Hard to tell.

I don't see that anything is that wrong with it for now .

propagatedBuildInputs is different from /propagated-user-env-packages

The last one is only added to your env. propagatedBuildInputs means this
package will be addedd to all buildInputs of depending packages.

Probably you all know that and I'm missing the point.

Marc Weber