[Nix-dev] nix-env and meta

Yury G. Kudryashov urkud+nix at ya.ru
Tue Oct 5 21:38:50 CEST 2010

Hi!

What of metadata does nix-env know about?

Some time ago Phreedom changed a few packages to create $out/nix-
support/propagated-user-env-packages. It is nice except for one side effect:
kdepim now depends on kdepim-runtime. And kdelibs (as well as other kde
packages) should propagate kdebase-runtime to user env.

I'd like to have all the information about "what is propagated" handled by
nix, not bash/perl. It is easy to achieve for normal propagatedBuildInputs
(see, e.g., builderDefs) but I don't know how to make nix-env aware of such
propagations. Any ideas?

Am I right that nix-install-package transfers no metadata except for name?
What do you think about replacing nix-env by a nixos-rebuild style script?