[Nix-dev] Re: nix-env and meta

Yury G. Kudryashov urkud+nix at ya.ru
Wed Oct 6 08:07:01 CEST 2010

Marc Weber wrote:

> Excerpts from Yury G. Kudryashov's message of Tue Oct 05 21:38:50 +0200
> 2010:
>> I'd like to have all the information about "what is propagated" handled
>> by nix, not bash/perl. It is easy to achieve for normal
>> propagatedBuildInputs (see, e.g., builderDefs) but I don't know how to
>> make nix-env aware of such propagations. Any ideas?
>
> Can you give some reasons why you dislike bash perl for that?
>
> propagatedBuildInputs is different from /propagated-user-env-packages
My main point is that propagated user env packages should be handled by nix,
not perl. This is true because kdelibs should propagate kdebase-runtime to
user-env, and kdebase-runtime depends on kdelibs. I think that there are
many other cycles like this.

About propagated-build-inputs, I see no reason not to garbage-collect a
template-only library propagated by another library. The file "/nix-
support/propagated-build-inputs" makes it impossible.