[Nix-dev] Specifying licenses on Nix packages

Sander van der Burg - EWI S.vanderBurg at tudelft.nl
Mon Feb 22 16:17:39 CET 2010

I think there is no need in creating a separate branch, since the proposal does not give us conflicts. Eelco developed a prototype tool that can automatically retrieve the license attributes of a closure. We just have to use this tool to see which licenses are missing or incorrectly specified and use this data to correct them.

What I need now is consensus about license identifiers. If this consensus is ok to use, then I'll start modifying the incorrect license attributes when I encounter them.

The only thing I don't know yet is what Hydra does when the meta.license attribute is a list of strings instead of a list. Maybe Rob or Eelco can clarify this a bit. Moreover, the prototype tool does not yet deal with this either but I don't think it is hard to modify this.