[Nix-dev] 404 on nvi derivation

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Wed Dec 1 12:38:01 CET 2010

Excerpts from Amos Wenger's message of Tue Nov 30 23:34:04 +0100 2010:
> When trying to nixos-rebuild my system, a derivation failed to build,
> apparently it's "nvi" (somehow related to vi/vim? I'm not using it anyway)
> because of a 404 not found on a file.
>
> Here's the complete log: http://pastebin.com/YJSbWd84

How to find the line you're looking for?

nixos-rebuild --fast --keep-going test

nixos-rebuild --fast -j 1 test

The line which tells you what's going on is there - but hidden within
many different lines output by others parallel builds. Its line 139:

error: cannot download nvi-1.79.tar.gz?attredirects=0 from any mirror

By using --keep-going then -j1 you'll get to the failing build fastest.
(Or try building it directly using nix-build -A .. or such)

Attaching the patch updating it.

Eelco Dolstra has a command to mirror source packages. I suspect he
should put it into a cron-job :)

Marc Weber