[Nix-dev] 404 on nvi derivation

Amos Wenger ndd at rylliog.cz
Wed Dec 1 20:37:38 CET 2010

 On Wed 01/12/10 10:02 , Lluís Batlle i Rossell  wrote: On Tue, Nov 30,
2010 at 04:34:04PM -0600, Amos Wenger wrote:
 > When trying to nixos-rebuild my system, a derivation failed to build,
 > apparently it's "nvi" (somehow related to vi/vim? I'm not using it
anyway)
 > because of a 404 not found on a file.
 >
 > Here's the complete log: http://pastebin.com/YJSbWd84 [1]
 >
 > Hosting packages on googlesites seems dubious practice to me but.. oh
well
 > :) Is anyone 'responsible' for this particular nix expression?

 'nvi' comes by default with nixos, to give a minimal vi editor at least.
It is
 not related to vim.

Ah, and to think I had to use nano when I saw vim wasn't installed by
default :)I added the nix expression. I think it's the second time we lose
the package in
 the URL referenced.
 We have to find a new place distributing 'nvi'.
 Any suggestion?

Well yeah, I can think of a few
places: http://dir.filewatcher.com/d/Perl-CPAN/misc/nvi-1.79.tar.gz.1295401.html

I believe there is already some kind of mechanism to specify multiple
mirrors in nix expressions? (Since
the error message says that it weren't able to download from any mirror)

If we have to chose one, I'd recommend one of the FreeBSD/OpenBSD ones -
just to be sure that if it goes
down, we won't be the only ones in pain :)For reports, you can next time
use "-j1" to avoid having parallelization.

Oh right, I'll keep it in mind, sorry for that.
 Meanwhile, for your nixos, you can remove "pkgs.nvi" in your
 nixos/modules/profiles/base.nix.

Thanks for the suggestion. I had tried mingling with
pkgs/top-level/all-packages.nix but then
of course other places referencing it were going awry. I'm also hearing
about profiles today,
sounds interesting :)
 (I seem to have missed that thing about 'profiles' at all until now. I'll
look
 at it)

 Thanks for the quick response!

Message sent via Atmail Open - http://atmail.org/