[Nix-dev] Re: new possible movement to git (?)

Yury G. Kudryashov urkud+nix at ya.ru
Wed Aug 4 13:23:10 CEST 2010

Marc Weber wrote:

> I still see the value of SVN checkouts - less size on disk - so maybe
% cd /etc/nixos/nixpkgs # git checkout, both trunk and stdenv branch
% git gc; du -sh
66M
% du -sh .git
41M
# Hence, the tree is 66-41=25M
% du -sh /etc/nixos/nixpkgs-svn
130M

Are you still sure that svn checkout use less disk space?

But I think that we should discuss the choice of dvcs (or setup some
autosynced dvcs mirrors). I know that Michael Raskin is against git.

Eelco, could you please provide svn dump? I'd like to test svn2git script
used by KDE.

> maintaining a svn mirror (for stable branch only?) is a good choice?
>
> At this point I want to remind that github has a SVN interface for git
> repositories! Thus you can use git - but SVN users can still use SVN if
> they prefer. I haven't tested it yet - though.
I'm against using external closed source code hosting.