[Nix-dev] Re: new possible movement to git (?)

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Wed Aug 4 14:59:17 CEST 2010

Excerpts from Yury G. Kudryashov's message of Wed Aug 04 13:23:10 +0200 2010:
> But I think that we should discuss the choice of dvcs (or setup some
> autosynced dvcs mirrors). I know that Michael Raskin is against git.
We can. But I think the result will be git.

Michael Raskin: If you'd prefer a different one say so - and say why,
please. In a previous post I concluded that he would accept using git
as alternative to SVN. See here:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.distributions.nixos/4425/focus=4440

> I'm against using external closed source code hosting.
It could be used as additional git mirror for that reason if there is
need to. This could provide some additional transition time for some
users. Is someone interested in it at all?

> > I still see the value of SVN checkouts - less size on disk - so maybe
> % cd /etc/nixos/nixpkgs # git checkout, both trunk and stdenv branch
> % git gc; du -sh
> 66M
> % du -sh .git
> 41M
> # Hence, the tree is 66-41=25M
> % du -sh /etc/nixos/nixpkgs-svn
> 130M

> Are you still sure that svn checkout use less disk space?
Is your comparison fair? Did you include the checked out files in the
git calculation?
Because SVN stores all files twice let's add 1/rd of the space of SVN.
Then you have 40M + (130/4M) approx 80MB. Still less than 130MB.
But I expect nixpkgs to grow. So in 10 years svn will be smaller because
it doesn't store history.

Marc Weber