[Nix-dev] new possible movement to git (?)

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Wed Aug 4 12:23:31 CEST 2010

Finally Eelco Dolstra replied to my question about introducing a
official git mirror. I replied on irc so maybe his opinion can still
change. Still I want to tell you about the small conversation:

  12:39 < MarcWeber> Eelco Dolstra: I'm still missing a reply. You didn't
  tell us how you think about introducing an official git mirror for nixos
  which can be used for preparing and sharing patches easier. I'd like to
  know whether you are willing to provide a small account on one of the
  nix* servers which runs a cron job once a day fetching from svn and
  pusnhing to either github or gitorious. The scripts are ready.

  15:53 < Eelco Dolstra> MarcWeber: I'm currently more inclined to
  converting to git than to setting up svn<->git mirrors

I would support this change this means:
- I'll try to help each Nix(OS) user who has trouble with git to get
  started.
- I'll help rewriting existing scripts - if there is need to do so.

If you want this to happen sooner I urge you to vote for this in this
thread - I know that a lot of Nix(OS) users already have private git
clones - including me.

I still see the value of SVN checkouts - less size on disk - so maybe
maintaining a svn mirror (for stable branch only?) is a good choice?

At this point I want to remind that github has a SVN interface for git
repositories! Thus you can use git - but SVN users can still use SVN if
they prefer. I haven't tested it yet - though.

Eelco Dolstra: Thanks for taking the time to reply. Let me know if I can
support you in any way, please.

Marc Weber