[Nix-dev] Re: NixOS: New scheme

Ludovic Courtès ludo at gnu.org
Thu Nov 20 09:50:39 CET 2008

Hello,

Marc Weber <marco-oweber at gmx.de> writes:

> Let's don't mix things. Each programming language has its use cases..
> And comparing a passed pkgs with a C struct ? Don't think this is a good
> comparison.

The main point is this: we have a function; in one version, it takes
precisely the arguments it operates on, in the other version the
function's input data is not passed as arguments but using global
variables or a catch-all structure.  In that second version, the
function has much more authority that it really needs.

> And seeing a statement such as its hard to see which dependencies a job
> has? Try nix-store -q --tree $storepath. That's why we are using nix.

That's a different story.  I'm referring to the programming language
level.

Thanks,
Ludo'.