[Nix-dev] Nix Presentation at Syd-FP [Off-Topic]

Jeevakan Suresh Jeevakan.Suresh at macquarie.com
Mon Nov 17 04:23:26 CET 2008

Hi Guys.

Last Thursday, I gave a talk at the Sydney functional programmers user
group about nix. Since I'm no expert on nix - I structured it more as a
discussion about package management - and nix's twist on the problem.

It was interesting that almost *everyone* had been burned by the
'standard' package managers at some point - and were quite enthused
about how nix could help. Also, convincing functional programmers that a
functional package manager is a good idea was barely a hard sell :)

The talk (by accident) was timed with the release of ubuntu 8.10. Most
people in the room either got burned in the upgrade process or chose not
to upgrade (and fresh install instead) because they *expected* to be
burnt. At the same time however they wouldn't consider switching to nix
just yet as they felt it wasn't mature enough to warrant the time
investment.

I mention this because (I think) there is a sizeable group of people who
are dissatisfied with the current generation of package managers and
there is a real niche which nix (and nixOS) can carve out for those
looking for saner approaches to system administration.

Cheers
Jeeva.

NOTICE
This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may contain copyright material of Macquarie Group Limited or third parties. If you are not the intended recipient of this email you should not read, print, re-transmit, store or act in reliance on this e-mail or any attachments, and should destroy all copies of them. Macquarie Group Limited does not guarantee the integrity of any emails or any attached files. The views or opinions expressed are the author's own and may not reflect the views or opinions of Macquarie Group Limited.